Saturday 23 August 2014

Defying the Odds: Me and My Giant Defy 1

It is finally here. Since I have got into triathlons and endurance sports I have wanted a decent bike. Finally after 2.5 months of working a full time job over the summer I have saved up enough to buy a decent road bike. I realise there are far flashier bikes out there, and the bike is only as good as the rider driving it, but I am still excited to have this bike.
I had spent the last week being ill, so ill that I am concerned I won't be able to make the start of the Cambridge City Tri I had my eye on. That race was a big factor in me deciding to get this bike when I did. I have effectively ruled my self out of that race despite recovering well but have my eye on a few end of summer sportive and still on the Great West Run. This made everything feel a little bit better.

So the great reveal. Dim the lights and start that drum roll ...




Isn't she beautiful
I love her, her being Madeline the Giant Defy 1 in black and red bough for an absolute bargain from Rutland Cycles. I am very pleased with my bike and have already taken her out for a spin in Richmond park. After my accident on 30 July the family have banned me from riding on London roads but I am still allowed the recreational jaunt.

Maddie's time will be in Plymouth where I think the country air and beckoning moors will be a safer option that the rough grey streets of London. It is still 3 weeks till I go back so I am limited in how much of a run out she gets.

While Maddie is great I still have my eye on other new bikes, (cheating already)! More to have a range of bikes for the wide range of conditions I will likely be cycling in, I wouldn't mind a full suspension mountain bike to take some of the more rugged moor routes. For now there is only Maddie in my cycling life.  I still want to get some upgrades for Maddie; pedals instead of her current toe cages, bottle cage and so on. I have also bought some cleaning gear so I can keep her in tip top condition as long as possible.

My other bike my beloved beast The Wisp is still in good hands at Cycle PS. I am debating whether to keep her after she is fixed as I know she is a little too small and it does put a strain on my hip and back riding her. The likelihood is that I will have to let her go, but I might take her down some hills before.

A few coursemates have also picked up new bikes over the summer and so the beginnings of a bike chain gang are beginning to form. Bring it on I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment